Brill's Baths, East Street and Pool Valley, Brighton: interior perspective of the circular Gentlemen's Bath

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA125874
Architect/DesignerScott, Sir George Gilbert (1811-1878)
Artist/PhotographerWyatt, John Drayton (1820-1891)
CountryUK: England
CityBrighton
Subject Date1869
Image Date1866
ViewInterior
StyleGothic Revival
MediumPrint
Library ReferencePeriodicals
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes SOURCE: Civil Engineer & Architect's Journal, vol. XXIX, 1866 Nov. 1, pl. 38 NOTES: Brill’s Baths opened in August 1869 with its focus the circular Gentlemen’s Bath, a heated sea water swimming pool 65 feet in diameter. The Baths also provided cold water baths, vapour baths, medicinal douche baths, reading room, billiard room and barber shop. In the early 1860s Brill had opened next door on East Street a Swimming Bath for Ladies also using heated sea water. Brill’s Baths were demolished in 1929 to be replaced by a cinema.

Subject tags

round buildings, domes, swimming pools, baths, recreation buildings