Skip to navigation Skip to content

Brooke House, Town Square, Basildon, Essex: the glazed lift-entrance of the tower block

RIBApix ref no RIBA23340
Architect/DesignerSpence, Sir Basil (1907-1976)
Artist/PhotographerPantlin, John (1917-2003)
CountryUK: England
CityBasildon
Subject Date1962
Image Date1962
ViewInterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP Box 219
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Basildon, created from the conglomeration of four small villages, namely Pitsea, Laindon, Basildon and Vange, was designated a new town in 1948, together with the other London orbital developments of Stevenage, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950. The Town Centre is dominated by Brooke House, a 14 storey residential tower block designed by Sir Basil Spence and completed in 1962. It was given Grade II listed status in 1998.

Subject tags

skyscrapers, flats, housing, town planning, sculpture, entrance halls, columns, new towns