Brooke House, Town Square, Basildon, Essex: the main entrance

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA76049
Architect/DesignerSpence, Sir Basil (1907-1976)
Artist/PhotographerA. Stanland Photograph
CountryUK: England
CityBasildon
Subject Date1962
Image Date1962
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceBM/PLA/14/D
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Basildon, created from the conglomeration of four small villages, namely Pitsea, Laindon, Basildon and Vange, was designated a new town in 1948, together with the other London orbital developments of Stevenage, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950. The town centre is dominated by Brooke House, a 14 storey residential tower block designed by Sir Basil Spence and completed in 1962. It was given Grade II listed status in 1998.

Subject tags

skyscrapers, housing, pilotis, People, entrances, new towns