Brooks's Club, 60 St James's Street, London: members playing cards and gambling in the Great Subscription Room

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA15458
Architect/DesignerHolland, Henry (1745-1806)
Artist/PhotographerPugin, Augustus Charles (c. 1769-1832)
Rowlandson, Thomas (1756-1827)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1778
Image Date1808
ViewInterior
StyleGeorgian
MediumPrint
Library ReferenceEW E.e.315/2
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes SOURCE: R. Ackermann. The Microcosm of London (London, 1835), vol. II, pl. 39 NOTES: This social and non-political gentelmen's club was founded in 1764 by William Almack and met in pall mall. It moved in 1778 to the new club house designed by Henry Holland in St James's Street under the management of William Brooks.

Subject tags

lamps, lighting fixtures, clubs, seating, tables