Cafe Royal, Regent Street, London: close-up of a fireplace with the Nichols crest incorporated into the marble surround

RIBApix ref no RIBA24715
Architect/DesignerTanner, Sir Henry (1849-1935)
Artist/PhotographerNewbery, Sydney W. (1894-1985)
CountryUK: England
Subject Date1927
Image Date1927
Library ReferenceAP79/115
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Cafe Royal, originally known as Cafe-Restaurant Nichols, was established in 1865 by the French wine merchant Daniel Nicholas Thevenon who changed his name to Daniel Nichols soon after his arrival in England in 1863. Aping its original style, Sir Henry Tanner refashioned the cafe as part of the redevelopment of the Regent Street Quadrant in the 1920s.

Subject tags

interior decoration, fireplaces, marble, restaurants, mirrors