Cafe Royal, Regent Street, London: the ballroom

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA24717
Architect/DesignerTanner, Sir Henry (1849-1935)
Artist/PhotographerNewbery, Sydney W. (1894-1985)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1927
Image Date1927
ViewInterior
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP79/118
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Cafe Royal, originally known as Cafe-Restaurant Nichols, was established in 1865 by the French wine merchant Daniel Nicholas Thevenon who changed his name to Daniel Nichols soon after his arrival in England in 1863. Aping its original style, Sir Henry Tanner refashioned the cafe as part of the redevelopment of the Regent Street Quadrant in the 1920s.

Subject tags

restaurants, ballrooms