Caluzac and Mipadre towers and ramparts, Carcassonne

RIBApix ref no RIBA59039
Architect/DesignerViollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)
Artist/PhotographerNeurdein Freres
CountryFrance
CityCarcassonne
Subject Date1200
Image Date1880
ViewExterior
StyleMedieval
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference13778 (ND Phot ?)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Once a separate royal palace built by Bernard Aton Trencavel, this castle was converted into a citadel, consisting of a double ring of ramparts and 53 towers, when Carcassonne became part of the royal estate in 1226. The citadel was was restored by Eugene Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc in 1853-1879. After Viollet's death the restorations were completed to his designs by his pupil Paul Boeswillwald. Later the architect Henri Nodet carried out further restoration work.

Subject tags

towers, restoration, fortifications, castles, palaces, city walls