Campanile (Leaning Tower), Campo dei Miracoli, Pisa: perspective view with visitors shown observing and climbing the tower

RIBApix ref no RIBA36793
Architect/DesignerDiotisalvi
Giovanni di Simone
Tommano Simone
CountryItaly
CityPisa
Subject Date1350
Image Date1816
ViewExterior
StyleRomanesque
MediumPrint
Library ReferencePB384/10
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on the detached bell tower began in 1173 under the direction of Diotisalvi. The tower began to sink and lean after completion of the third storey in 1178. Building resumed in1272 under Giovanni di Simone, architect of the Campo Santo, but was interrupted again in 1284 on reaching the seventh storey, owing to further leaning. The belfry was added by Tommano Simone in 1350.

Subject tags

round buildings, belfries, bell towers, cathedrals, marble, arcades