Campanile (Leaning Tower), Campo dei Miracoli, Pisa

RIBApix ref no RIBA23281
Architect/DesignerDiotisalvi
Giovanni di Simone
Tommano Simone
Artist/PhotographerCresy, Edward (1792-1858)
Taylor, George Ledwell (1788-1873)
CountryItaly
CityPisa
Subject Date1350
Image Date1817
ViewExterior
StyleRomanesque
MediumPrint
Library ReferenceEW E.e.560
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes SOURCE: Edward Cresy and G. L. Taylor. Architecture of the Middle Ages in Italy (London, 1829), pl. 25 NOTES: Construction on the detached bell tower began in 1173 under the direction of Diotisalvi. The tower began to sink and lean after completion of the third storey in 1178. Building resumed in1272 under Giovanni di Simone, architect of the Campo Santo, but was interrupted again in 1284 on reaching the seventh storey, owing to further leaning. The belfry was added by Tommano Simone in 1350.

Subject tags

round buildings, belfries, bell towers, cathedrals, marble, arcades