Campanile (Leaning Tower), Campo dei Miracoli, Pisa

RIBApix ref no RIBA9690
Architect/DesignerDiotisalvi
Giovanni di Simone
Tommano Simone
CountryItaly
CityPisa
Subject Date1350
Image Date1980
ViewExterior
StyleRomanesque
Medium35mm Transparency
Library ReferenceSCI3861
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on the detached bell tower of the cathedral complex began in 1173 under the direction of Diotisalvi. The tower began to sink and lean after completion of the third storey in 1178. Building resumed in1272 under Giovanni di Simone, architect of the Campo Santo, but was interrupted again in 1284 on reaching the seventh storey, owing to further leaning. The belfry was added by Tommano Simone in 1350.

Subject tags

round buildings, belfries, bell towers, cathedrals, marble, arcades