Campanile of San Marco and south-west corner of Palazzo Ducale, Venice

RIBApix ref no RIBA27007
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryItaly
CityVenice
Image Date1961
ViewExterior
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/VEN/45 (ES1784.8)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The campanile was first built in 888-912 and completed in 1156-1173. It was subsequently restored, the last time in 1511-1514. It collapsed on 14 July 1902 and an exact reproduction was erected, opening on 25 April 1912.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, sculpture, palaces