Canterbury Cathedral: the nave roof, the south-west and north-west towers

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA48542
Architect/DesignerMapilton, Thomas (fl. 1408-d. 1438)
Yevele, Henry (d. 1400)
Artist/PhotographerGalwey, Reginald Hugo de Burgh (1917-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityCanterbury
Subject Date1434
Image Date1947
ViewExterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP498/198
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The nave was rebuilt in Perpendicular in 1377-1405 to designs by Henry Yevele, the King's master mason. The south-west tower was rebuilt by Thomas Mapilton between 1424 and 1434. The original Romanesque north-west tower remained until 1832 when it was demolished and replaced by a matching replica of Mapilton's tower.

Subject tags

towers, roofs, cathedrals, buttresses