Castle of the Teutonic Knights, Malbork: the moat, wall and Upper Castle

RIBApix ref no RIBA27529
Artist/PhotographerHance, Dennis
CountryPoland
CityMalbork
Subject Date1450
Image Date2000
ViewExterior
StyleGothic
Medium35mm Transparency
Library ReferenceDHPL374
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Dennis Hance / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Founded by the Teutonic Order in 1274, this vast brick fortress is considered one of the finest examples of secular medieval architecture on the European mainland. The castle was expanded several times to host the growing number of Knights up until 1456 when the Order abandoned it on being defeated in the Polish-Lithuanian- Teutonic War. It was used as a royal residence intermittently thereafter. The castle was in the process of being restored when World War II broke out during which time more than half of the castle was destroyed. Further damage was caused by fire in 1959. The rebuilt castle complex comprises the Upper, Middle and Lower (outer) castle, and restoration has been ongoing since 1962.

Subject tags

brickwork, towers, restoration, fortifications, castles, palaces, moats