Cathedral of St Martin (Martinsdom), Mainz: the Gothic choir and Baroque west tower seen from the west

RIBApix ref no RIBA60894
Architect/DesignerNeumann, Franz Ignaz Michael (1735-1785)
Artist/PhotographerHertel, Carl (1832-1906)
CountryGermany
CityMainz
Subject Date1769
Image Date1890
ViewExterior
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference41520/3 (Hertel 139)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Built between 972 and 1009, the original Romanesque basilica consisted of a nave with two aisles, to which two more Gothic naves were added in the 13th century. The Gothic choir was begun at the beginning of the 12th century and consecrated in 1239. Belfries were later added to the two towers at the crossings; on the eastern tower in 1361 and on the western in 1418. The latter was rebuilt in Baroque style in 1767-1769 by Franz Ignaz Michael Neumann.

Subject tags

towers, belfries, bell towers, cathedrals