Cathedral of St Peter (Dom), Osnabruck, Lower Saxony: the west front

RIBApix ref no RIBA60902
Artist/PhotographerWurm, A.
CountryGermany
CityOsnabruck
Subject Date1543
Image Date1890
ViewExterior
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference41522/1 (Wurm 4)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The original cathedral founded by Charlemagne in the 8th century was destroyed by the Saxons and its reconstruction began in Romanesque style in the 11th century. The octagonal tower was added in the early 12th century while the nave and choir were rebuilt between 1218 and 1277. The north-west tower was added in the 13th century and the south-west was enlarged between 1502 and 1543.

Subject tags

towers, belfries, bell towers, cathedrals