Cathedral, Vac: the facade adorned with Corinthinian columns

RIBApix ref no RIBA41289
Architect/DesignerCanevale, Isidore (1730-1786)
Pilgram, Franz Anton (1699-1761)
Artist/PhotographerTueskes, Anna
CountryHungary
CityVac
Subject Date1777
Image Date2006
ViewExterior
StyleBaroque
MediumDigital image
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Anna Tueskes / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction began on the cathedral in 1763 under the direction of Bishop Karol Esterhazy and according to the plans of the Austrian architect Franz Anton Pilgram. The bishop's successor, Kristof Migazzi, ordered a new design from Isidore Canevale, a French architect living in Vienna. The building was completed according to Canevale's plans in 1777.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, entrances, cathedrals, columns, squares, porticos