Certosa di San Martino, Naples: detail of the high altar by Francesco Solimena

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA93107
Architect/DesignerDosio, Giovanni Antonio (1533-ca.1609)
Fanzago, Cosimo (1591-1678)
Solimena, Francesco (1657-1747)
Artist/PhotographerBenton, Tim
CountryItaly
CityNaples
Subject Date1700
Image Date1970
ViewInterior
StyleBaroque
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceBenton 268
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Tim Benton / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The original church was built from 1325, and consecrated in 1368. It was transformed by Giovanni Antonio Dosio (1589-1609) and by Cosimo Fanzago (director of works 1623-1656).

Subject tags

churches, sculpture, church fittings, altars