Chapel of St Mary Undercroft, St Stephen's Hall, Houses of Parliament, Palace of Westminster, London: detail of a central boss

RIBApix ref no RIBA38629
Architect/DesignerBarry, Edward Middleton (1830-1880)
Artist/PhotographerGalwey, Reginald Hugo de Burgh (1917-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1870
Image Date1950
ViewInterior
StyleGothic Revival
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP141/236
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This five vaulted-bay crypt chapel, built in 1297-1385, was one of the few structures in the Palace of Westminster to survive the great fire of 1834. It was heavily restored in 1860-1870 by Edward Barry.

Subject tags

Chapels, parliament buildings, interior decoration, sculpture, ceilings, vaulting