Chapel of the Holy Shroud, Duomo, Turin

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA25500
Architect/DesignerGuarini, Guarino (1624-1683)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryItaly
CityTurin
Subject Date1694
Image Date1963
ViewInterior
StyleBaroque
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/ITA/734 (ES9662)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Turin Cathedral (Duomo di Torino), dedicated to St John the Baptist, was built in 1491-1498. The Chapel of the Holy Shroud, the current resting place of the Shroud of Turin, was added to the structure in 1668-1694.

Subject tags

Chapels, round buildings, cathedrals, domes