Charles Bridge, Prague, seen from the river bank of the Vltava looking towards Hradcany and St Vitus' Cathedral

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA27449
Architect/DesignerParler, Peter (1330-1399)
Artist/PhotographerDeakin, Ralph (1888-1952)
CountryCzech Republic
CityPrague
Subject Date1357
Image Date1930
ViewExterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceDK/CZ/6/3 (DKN/CZ/13)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Ralph Deakin / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This stone bridge protected by three towers links the two sides of Prague either side of the River Vltava. It was commissioned by Charles IV in 1357 and the majority of its construction was overseen by his favourite architect Peter Parler.

Subject tags

towns & cities, cathedrals, rivers, bridges