Chateau Comtal, Carcassonne: the fortified entrance

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA59030
Architect/DesignerViollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)
Artist/PhotographerNeurdein Freres
CountryFrance
CityCarcassonne
Subject Date1100
Image Date1880
ViewExterior
StyleMedieval
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference13765 (ND Phot 209)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Once a separate royal palace built by Bernard Aton Trencavel, this castle was converted into a citadel, consisting of a double ring of ramparts and 53 towers, when Carcassonne became part of the royal estate in 1226. The citadel was was restored by Eugene Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc in 1853-1879. After Viollet's death the restorations were completed to his designs by his pupil Paul Boeswillwald. Later the architect Henri Nodet carried out further restoration work.

Subject tags

towers, restoration, bridges, castles, palaces, city walls