Chester Cathedral, Cheshire

RIBApix ref no RIBA58961
Artist/PhotographerPhotocrom Co. Ltd.
CountryUK: England
CityChester
Subject Date1540
Image Date1900
ViewExterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference13420 (Photocrom 4823)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on the original Benedictine monastery church was begun at the east end in Romanesque style in 1092 and was completed by the Lady Chapel in 1250. The church was rebuilt in Gothic style in 1260-1540. Spared desecration during the Dissolution, the church was elevated to the status of Cathedral in 1541. The church and monastic buildings were extensively, if controversially, restored by George Gilbert Scott in 1868-1876.

Subject tags

cemeteries, belfries, bell towers, churches, cathedrals, monasteries & convents