Chichester Cathedral: the re-instated original stone Arundel Screen with the new pulpit on the right

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA48582
Architect/DesignerClarke, Geoffrey (1924-2014)
Potter, Robert (b. 1909)
Artist/PhotographerWestwood, Colin (1920-2004)
CountryUK: England
CityChichester
Subject Date1400
Image Date1966
ViewInterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP499/147 (CWN 66W/19872)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Founded as a cathedral in 1075, the building was completed in 1108. Much of the Norman stonework, arcading and the timber-roofed nave were destroyed by fire in 1187 and were rebuilt and extended in Early English style in the 13th century. The Arundel Screen, the pulpitum and screen to the Quire, is attributable to Bishop Arundel in the mid- to late 15th century. Taken down in 1860, the screen was restored to its position below the crossing in 1960. The new pulpit was designed by Robert Potter, Surveyor of the Fabric of the Cathedral (1959-1985), and Geoffrey Clarke in concrete and aluminum and was installed in 1966.

Subject tags

arches, cathedrals, restoration, arcades, screens, church fittings