Children's playground, Basildon, Essex

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA61552
Architect/DesignerBasildon Development Corporation. Department of Architecture & Planning
Artist/PhotographerSnoek, Henk (1915-1980)
CountryUK: England
CityBasildon
Subject Date1961
Image Date1961
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumNegative
Library ReferenceS61 1511
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Henk Snoek / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Basildon, created from the conglomeration of four small villages, namely Pitsea, Laindon, Basildon and Vange, was designated a new town in 1948, together with the other London orbital developments of Stevenage, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950.

Subject tags

housing, children, new towns, children's playgrounds