Church of San Trovaso (Santi Gervasio e Protasio), Venice: front elevation of west end (facing the campo)

RIBApix ref no RIBA85608
Architect/DesignerSmeraldi, Francesco
Artist/PhotographerVisentini, Antonio (1688-1782)
CountryItaly
CityVenice
Subject Date1657
Image Date1700
ViewExterior
StyleRenaissance
MediumDrawing
Library ReferenceSB41[148]2
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This drawing was made either by Visentini or one of his assistants. The existing church collapsed in 1584 and it was rebuilt to the designs of Smeraldi, a pupil of Palladio (although the church has at times been attributed to Palladio himself despite the fact the collapse occurred three years after Palladio's death). The church is unusual in having two similar facades, one facing the campo and one the canal.

Subject tags

churches, pediments