Church of St Magnus-the-Martyr, London Bridge, City of London: sketched perspective of the entrance facade and the bell tower

RIBApix ref no RIBA35223
Architect/DesignerWren, Sir Christopher (1632-1723)
Artist/PhotographerCockerell, Charles Robert (1788-1863)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1706
Image Date1830
ViewExterior
StyleBaroque
MediumDrawing
Library ReferenceSD127/28
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This sketch is one of a number of preliminary studies of English Baroque architecture made by Charles Cockerell in preparation for his watercolour composition 'A Tribute to Sir Christopher Wren' (1838). It was formerly part of an album of drawings entitled 'Ichnographia Publica', compiled by Cockerell from 1825 as a private 'scrapbook' containing his measured drawings, notes and studies relating to the architecture of public buildings. The bracketed numbers which accompany many of the sketches refer to the numbered 'key' to the engraved version of 'A Tribute to Sir Christopher Wren'. was rebuilt by Wren in 1676 following the Great Fire of London in 1666. The steeple, copied from the church of St Charles Borromee, in Antwerp, was added thirty years later.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, churches