Church of St Mary, (Marienkirche), Altstadt, Lubeck

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA8181
Artist/PhotographerDeakin, Ralph (1888-1952)
Subject Date1300
Image Date1930
Library ReferenceDKN/G/818
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Ralph Deakin / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on the Marienkirche began in c.1200 and took over 150 years to complete. It was completely burnt down in the Allied bombing raid on 28-29 March 1942 in which a fifth of the city was destroyed. Nevertheless, it was thoroughly restored by 1959 under the supervision of B. Fendrich.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, churches