Churches of Santa Maria di Loreto and Santissimo Nome di Maria seen from the monument to Vittorio Emanuele II (Il Vittoriano), Rome

RIBApix ref no RIBA74472
Architect/DesignerDerizet, Antoine (1697-1768)
Duca, Giacomo del (1520-1604)
Sacconi, Giuseppe (1854-1905)
Sangallo, Antonio da, il Giovane (1484-1546)
Artist/PhotographerDeakin, Ralph (1888-1952)
CountryItaly
CityRome
Subject Date1930
Image Date1930
ViewTopographical
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceFH/PUBL/12/A
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Ralph Deakin / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on the Renaissance church of Santa Maria di Loreto began in 1507 led by Antonio Sangallo the Younger. It was completed by Giacomo del Duca in 1582 with the addition of the drum, dome, and the unusual lantern. The Baroque church of Santissimo Nome di Maria was built by Antoine Derizet between 1736 and 1741. The Monument to Vittorio Emanuele, also known as Altare della Patria, was designed by Giuseppe Sacconi in 1895, inaugurated in 1911, and completed in 1935.

Subject tags

towns & cities, churches, domes, monuments, Feature: Rome Eternal City