Churchill Gardens Estate, Pimlico, London: corner of the pumphouse on Ranelagh Road with the workshop link on the left

RIBApix ref no RIBA26263
Architect/DesignerKennedy & Donkin
Powell & Moya
Scott & Wilson
Artist/PhotographerGalwey, Reginald Hugo de Burgh (1917-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1962
Image Date1951
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP Box 724 Westminster
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This, the largest housing scheme by Westminster City Council, was built in four sections between 1946 and 1962. The pumphouse for the district heating scheme was located at the base of the heat-accumulator tower which was used to store the hot water brought in a tunnel below the river from Battersea power station. The heating consultants were Kennedy & Donkin and the structural engineers were Scott & Wilson.

Subject tags

housing, towers, pumping stations, heating and ventilating