Cinephone cinema, 241 Oxford Street, London: the auditorium showing the projection room above the circle

RIBApix ref no RIBA59754
Architect/DesignerJelinek-Karl, Rudolph
Artist/PhotographerMaltby, John (1910-1980)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1939
Image Date1939
ViewInterior
StyleArt Deco
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceMAL4785
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit John Maltby / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Opened during wartime in January 1940, this cinema was forced to close in September of the same year due to dwindling admissions. It was then requisitioned by the Ministry of Works for storage for the duration of World War II. It reopened as the London News Theatre in 1953 and was renamed Cinephone in 1954. It closed as a cinema in 1973 and the building became a retail space.

Subject tags

balconies, cinemas, auditoria