Clandon Park, West Clandon, Surrey: the brick and flint grotto with the statue of the Three Graces

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA42048
Architect/DesignerBrown, Lancelot, 'Capability' (1716-1783)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityWest Clandon
Subject Date1770
Image Date1958
ViewInterior
StyleClassical Revival
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/ENG/3934 (ES1006.7)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Clandon Park was rebuilt in Palladian style for 2nd Lord Onslow by the Venetian-born architect, Giacomo Leoni, c.1730-1733. Work on the interiors continued into the 1740s. The grounds were landscaped by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown in the 1770s.

Subject tags

brickwork, arches, sculpture, statues, grottoes, flint