Skip to navigation Skip to content

Clock tower and memorial to Lewis Silkin, Town Centre, Stevenage, Hertfordshire

RIBApix ref no RIBA50763
Architect/DesignerStevenage Development Corporation
Vincent, Leonard (1916-2007)
Artist/PhotographerDe Wolfe, Ivy
CountryUK: England
CityStevenage
Subject Date1958
Image Date1962
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference33717/36 (IDW A6/62)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Stevenage was designated as England's first New Town in 1946, followed by the other London orbital developments of Basildon, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950. Leonard Vincent was the Chief Architect responsible for the town centre.

Subject tags

town planning, new towns, shopping centres, monuments, clock towers