College of Aeronautics, Cranfield, Bedfordshire: a technical laboratory converted from an existing aircraft hangar

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA52703
Architect/DesignerStubbs, Alan Valentine
Artist/PhotographerMaltby, John (1910-1980)
CountryUK: England
CityCranfield
Subject Date1946
Image Date1947
ViewInterior
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceMaltby 31/ABN2 (MAL 7643)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit John Maltby / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Built as a Royal Air Force Station prior to World War II, some of these buildings were converted internally to make the new College of Aeronautics which opened in 1946. The consulting architect was Alan Stubbs and the work was carried out by the Air Ministry Works Directorate.

Subject tags

brickwork, hangars, conversion of buildings, military architecture, colleges