Corn Exchange, Mark Lane, London: close-up of the colonnade and iron rib roof after bomb damage

RIBApix ref no RIBA25409
Architect/DesignerBarlow, William Henry (1812-1902)
Artist/PhotographerDell & Wainwright
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1850
Image Date1940
ViewInterior
StyleVictorian
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP385/370 (DWN 8793)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: A third of the City's buildings were destroyed by aerial attack between September 1940 and March 1945. The first Corn Exchange, open to the sky, was built in Mark Lane in 1747. It was partly rebuilt in 1827 and the New Exchange adjoining it was constructed in 1828. The old Exchange was again extended and roofed over in 1850 and William Barlow advised on the design of the iron rib roof. The two Exchanges were amalgamated in 1929 but suffered severe bomb damage in 1941. It was rebuilt on the site of the two former Exchanges and reopened in 1954. The Corn Exchange moved to the Baltic Exchange in 1987.

Subject tags

roofs, stone, ruins, iron, colonnades, bomb sites, stock exchanges