Daubeny Building, Magdalen College, Oxford: detail of the bedspace beneath the skylight in one of the studio flats

RIBApix ref no RIBA86585
Architect/DesignerHarrison, Thomas (1744-1829)
Hutton, Cailey
Smith, Ivor
Townesend, William (1676-1739)
Artist/PhotographerCharles, Martin (1940-2012)
CountryUK: England
CityOxford
Subject Date1974
Image Date1975
ViewInterior
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP Box 793 Magdalen (MC III.17)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Daubeny Building was part of a new quadrangle intended for Magdalen College designed by William Townesend in 1733. It was left incomplete at his death, and later refaced in 1826 by Thomas Harrison. It was added to in 1848, 1902 and in 1910 with a wing called The Vines. Originally laboratories, it was converted into bedsitters and a library in 1974 by Ivor Smith and Cailey Hutton.

Subject tags

University buildings, flats, windows, student hostels, libraries, conversion of buildings, bedrooms, beds