Deanery, The Precincts, Canterbury Cathedral

RIBApix ref no RIBA48557
Artist/PhotographerGalwey, Reginald Hugo de Burgh (1917-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityCanterbury
Subject Date1570
Image Date1947
ViewExterior
StyleTudor
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP499/6
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Since its construction in the 15th century, this residence of the Archdeacon has been much repaired and renewed. The twin-gabled brick part interspersed with flint and stone was constructed in 1570. The buildings in the Precincts were extensively damaged during the air raids of 1940 and 1942 and many had to be demolished, notably the Library on the north side and Forens Gate. Those that survived were swiftly reinstated.

Subject tags

brickwork, cathedrals, stone, restoration, vicarages, flint