Design for a new bell turret for the Church of Saint Catherine of Alexandria, Martyr and Virgin (formerly known as Saint Andrew's Chapel), Lockyer Street, Plymouth: plan, elevation and section as proposed and elevation as built

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA82996
Architect/DesignerFoulston, John (1772-1842)
Wightwick, George (1802-1872)
CountryUK: England
CityPlymouth
Subject Date1800
Image Date1800
StyleNeoclassical
MediumDrawing
Library ReferenceVOS/204 f.43
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: St Andrew's Chapel was designed by John Foulston and opened in 1823. This design for the bell turret probably dates from the 1830s or 1840s. The church was demolished in 1957. This design is one of a number of drawings bound into five volumes entitled 'Architectural works of George Wightwick', made between 1832 and 1850. Wightwick instructed his articled pupils to make this detailed set of retrospective drawings to illustrate every building of importance he had designed. The drawings were intended to serve both as a record of Wightwick's completed buildings and as a method of conveying to his students the design process from initial working design to finished structure.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, churches