Design for completing the west towers of St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, Palmerston Place, Edinburgh: perspective

RIBApix ref no RIBA125095
Architect/DesignerScott, Charles Marriot Oldrid (1880-1952)
Artist/PhotographerGascoyne, Charles (1879-1917)
CountryUK: Scotland
CityEdinburgh
Subject Date1917
Image Date1917
ViewExterior
StyleGothic Revival
MediumDrawing
Library ReferenceDR130/1
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The cathedral was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott and was consecrated in 1879; however, lack of funds meant that at that time neither the chapter house nor the west towers were built. Scott's grandson, Charles Marriott Oldrid Scott, provided designs for the completion of the west towers in 1913-1916 and they were finished in 1917. This drawing was exhibited at the Royal Academy of Arts, London, in 1917 (Completion of the Western Towers, St Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh, number 1346).

Subject tags

towers, cathedrals