Design for mosaic decoration in the apse of the Anglican Church of the Holy Cross, Palermo

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA20176
Architect/DesignerPenrose, Francis Cranmer (1817-1903)
Artist/PhotographerPullan, Richard Popplewell (1825-1888)
CountryItaly
CityPalermo
Subject Date1875
Image Date1870
ViewInterior
StyleGothic Revival
MediumDrawing
Library ReferencePB108/7
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This building was commissioned by Joseph Whitaker and Benjamin Ingham (English industrialists who had settled in Sicily in the early 19th century) and was designed by William Barber. The mosaics were executed by Salviati of Venice.

Subject tags

churches, mosaics