Design for new government offices (now the Ministry of Defence Main Building), Whitehall, London

RIBApix ref no RIBA46942
Architect/DesignerHarris, Emanuel Vincent (1876-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1959
Image Date1936
ViewExterior
StyleClassical Revival
MediumPrint
Library ReferencePeriodicals
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes SOURCE: Builder, vol. 150, 1936 Mar. 20 supplement, p. iii NOTES: Harris won a competition in 1914 for a government office building destined for the Board of Trade. However, war and then depression meant construction was not begun until 1938 and then interrupted by World War II. Construction resumed after the war and the Board of Trade moved into the completed part of the building in 1951. The building is now occupied entirely by the Ministry of Defence.

Subject tags

government buildings