Design for the Royal Pavilion, Brighton: the west corridor forming a conservatory corridor

RIBApix ref no RIBA6602
Architect/DesignerRepton, Humphry (1752-1818)
Artist/PhotographerRepton, Humphry (1752-1818)
CountryUK: England
CityBrighton
Subject Date1808
Image Date1808
ViewInterior
MediumPrint
Library ReferenceEW E.b.166
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes SOURCE: Humphry Repton. Designs for the Pavillon at Brighton (London, 1808), p. [39] NOTES: The Royal Pavilion was built as a seaside retreat for the then Prince Regent (later King George IV). Originally the 'Marine Pavilion', a Neo-Classical building designed by Henry Holland and completed in 1787, it was transformed into this Indian style building by John Nash in 1815-1822. Using new technology, Nash enlarged the building and added the domes and minarets by superimposing a cast iron framework over Holland's pavilion.

Subject tags

palaces, glasshouses