Designs for Stafford House (later Lancaster House), St James's, London: elevation and sections through coach house and stables

RIBApix ref no RIBA96137
Architect/DesignerBarry, Sir Charles (1795-1860)
Wyatt, Benjamin Dean (1775-1855)
Artist/PhotographerMurray, James (1819-1898)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1841
Image Date1846
ViewInterior
MediumDrawing
Library ReferenceSB89/197
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on Lancaster House, the last great Georgian London mansion, began in 1825 for the Duke of York and Albany, the second son of King George III and was initially known as York House. The exterior was designed by Benjamin Dean Wyatt and was only a shell at the Duke's death in 1827. The house was purchased by the Marquess of Stafford (later 1st Duke of Sutherland) in 1828 who commissioned Barry to make extensive alterations, mainly for the interior.

Subject tags

town houses, stables