Designs for Stafford House (later Lancaster House), St James's, London: ground floor and upper floor plans of the stables

RIBApix ref no RIBA96136
Architect/DesignerBarry, Sir Charles (1795-1860)
Wyatt, Benjamin Dean (1775-1855)
Artist/PhotographerMurray, James (1819-1898)
CountryUK: England
Subject Date1841
Image Date1840
Library ReferenceSB89/196
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on Lancaster House, the last great Georgian London mansion, began in 1825 for the Duke of York and Albany, the second son of King George III and was initially known as York House. The exterior was designed by Benjamin Dean Wyatt and was only a shell at the Duke's death in 1827. The house was purchased by the Marquess of Stafford (later 1st Duke of Sutherland) in 1828 who commissioned Barry to make extensive alterations, mainly for the interior.

Subject tags

town houses, stables