Designs for Stafford House (later Lancaster House), St James's, London: plans, sections, elevations and details of Portland stone flower baskets for the south lawn

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA66332
Architect/DesignerBarry, Sir Charles (1795-1860)
Wyatt, Benjamin Dean (1775-1855)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1841
Image Date1830
ViewExterior
StyleClassical Revival
MediumDrawing
Library ReferenceSC32/6(1)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on Lancaster House, the last great Georgian London mansion, began in 1825 for the Duke of York and Albany, the second son of King George III and was initially known as York House. The exterior was designed by Benjamin Dean Wyatt and was only a shell at the Duke's death in 1827. The house was purchased by the Marquess of Stafford (later 1st Duke of Sutherland) in 1828 who commissioned Barry to make extensive alterations, mainly for the interior.

Subject tags

planters, plant pots, town houses