Designs for the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, London: plan and section of an Exotic House showing the heating system

RIBApix ref no RIBA97531
Architect/DesignerWyatville, Sir Jeffry (1766-1840)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1836
Image Date1836
ViewInterior
ViewPlan
MediumDrawing
Library ReferenceSB31/WYJE[14]
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Wyatville produced a design, now lost, for a new palm house in 1834. Later it was decided to adapt one of John Nash's Ionic pavilions from Buckingham Palace instead, and Wyatville used its elements re-erecting it to conform to the requirements for light and ventilation of the planting with heating provided by a system designed by A. M. Perkins. The completed glasshouse was known as the Aroid House (now the Nash Conservatory). The glasshouse was constructed at the time Wyatville was building King William's Temple.

Subject tags

garden buildings, botanical gardens, glasshouses