Designs for the South Devon and East Cornwall Hospital and Plymouth Public Dispensary, Sussex Place, Princess Square, Plymouth: ground and first floor plans

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA82538
Architect/DesignerWightwick, George (1802-1872)
CountryUK: England
CityPlymouth
Subject Date1840
Image Date1840
ViewPlan
StyleClassical Revival
MediumDrawing
Library ReferenceVOS/202 f.25
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The foundation stone for the South Devon and East Cornwall Hospital and Plymouth Public Dispensary was laid in 1835 but the hospital did not open until January 30, 1840. The function of public dispensary was dropped before the hospital opened and the Dispensary continued as a separate enterprise. It was extended several times until a new hospital was opened in 1884 and the old building sold. This design is one of a number of drawings bound into five volumes entitled 'Architectural works of George Wightwick', made between 1832 and 1850. Wightwick instructed his articled pupils to make this detailed set of retrospective drawings to illustrate every building of importance he had designed. The drawings were intended to serve both as a record of Wightwick's completed buildings and as a method of conveying to his students the design process from initial working design to finished structure.

Subject tags

hospitals