Douaumont ossuary near Verdun, Lorraine

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA40267
Architect/DesignerAzema, Leon (1888-1978)
Edrei, Max (1889-1979)
Hardy, Jacques
Artist/PhotographerBissell, Gerhard
CountryFrance
CityDouaumont
Subject Date1932
Image Date2004
ViewExterior
StyleEgyptian Revival
MediumDigital image
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Gerhard Bissell / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This ossuary contains the remains of approximately 300,000 French and German soldiers who perished in the Battle of Verdun, which lasted from 21 February 1916 until December 1916. It was designed in 1920-1927 by Azema, Hardy and Edrei, who became friends while prisoners of war, and officially inaugurated in 1932.

Subject tags

cemeteries, stone, war memorials, obelisks, Feature: First World War Memorials