Dunster Priory, Somerset: the chancel screen seen from the nave

RIBApix ref no RIBA60301
Architect/DesignerStreet, George Edmund (1824-1881)
Artist/PhotographerValentine, James (1815-1879)
CountryUK: England
Subject Date1877
Image Date1870
StyleGothic Revival
Library Reference20818/1 (17187 J.V.)
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Benedictine priory was established in 1177 while the priory church, shared by the monks and the parishioners, was completed in 1443. The priory was dissolved in 1539 and fell into ruin. The church, also known as the Priory Church of St George, was restored in the 1875-1877 by George Edmund Street.

Subject tags

churches, restoration, seating, arcades, screens, monasteries & convents