Duomo and campanile (Leaning Tower), Campo dei Miracoli, Pisa, seen from the south-west

RIBApix ref no RIBA7881
Architect/DesignerDiotisalvi
Giovanni di Simone
Tommano Simone
CountryItaly
CityPisa
Subject Date1350
Image Date1870
ViewExterior
StyleRomanesque
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceA109/45
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Cathedral, the largest Romanesque church in Italy, was built between 1063 and 1118. Construction on the detached bell tower began in 1173 under the direction of Diotisalvi. The tower began to sink and lean after completion of the third storey in 1178. Building resumed in1272 under Giovanni di Simone, architect of the Campo Santo, but was interrupted again in 1284 on reaching the seventh storey, owing to further leaning. The belfry was added by Tommano Simone in 1350.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, cathedrals, marble, domes