Duomo, Ortygia, Syracuse, Sicily: the west end of the nave showing the massive fluted Doric columns integrated into the structure

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA25642
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryItaly
CityOrtygia
Subject Date-479
Image Date1954
ViewInterior
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/SCI/379 (ES391.5)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This was originally as a temple to the goddess Athena in c. 480 BC but was converted into a Christian church in the 7th century and became the city's cathedral soon afterward. The ancient columns were integrated into the new structure. After the earthquake of 1693, a new Baroque facade, designed by Andrea Palma, was added to the cathedral and it was completed in 1753.

Subject tags

cathedrals, stone, columns, temples